Friday, November 07, 2008

Size Does Not Matter (Ok, it does...)

I thought I would share this story in hopes that it will help other mothers and to expose myself as one of those competitive moms. Ethan begged to try out for the North Lee Elementary basketball team. Each elementary school in town has its own basketball team. Ethan is eligible for the second and third grade team. He has never shown a strong interest in basketball before and I had heard rumors of the N. Lee team. They practice seven days a week and win the tournament every year. They are normally the kids that go on to play ball at the high school level. I told Ethan he probably wouldn't make the team, but he asked to try out anyway. Of course, Chris and I said yes.

We started practicing at the YMCA after Chris and I worked out. Ethan was not bad. He made most of his shots and could dribble the ball pretty good. I started to get excited that he may have a chance of making the team. That competitive, ugly mom showed up. Chris took him to the two hour try out and I stayed at home praying. Surely he was good enough. Chris came home with a dejected look on his face. He said Ethan played well, but he was the smallest kid on the court by at least a head. I comforted Ethan that night as he cried over not making the team.

As a mom, I worry about my children and their safety, health, spirit, and now their size. I poured my heart out to a fellow mom and she reminded me that there is always going to be something our children are deficient in whether it is academic, socially, atheletically or yes, even size. I am grateful for everything Ethan is and is becoming in spite of his small stature. I am also praying for a growth spurt.

1 comment:

MiniCircus said...

surely you remember comparing our children at playgroup when they were babies. as a mother, we are always doing that for some reason. I try to remember that a little failure and disappointment, although hard to swallow, is truely beneficial in life... as far as I can tell, you are completely normal!!