Saturday, July 25, 2009


Charleston and Fort Sumter


On day two of our vacation we took a ferry out to Fort Sumter. Chris was in history heaven. He read every plaque! The boys loved the cannons and we had to stop at every gun and sword
to admire it. We spent some time at swinging on the wharf and watching the large ships go by. My favorite part of downtown Charleston was hunting down two letterboxes hidden in the city. (Thanks Julie for the idea.) Letterboxes are hidden all over the country. There are hints posted online to find them. We found two of them and stamped the enclosed books and used their stamps to mark our own letterbox album. The boys were so excited that they actually existed. It was like a treasure hunt.

We stayed all day downtown and went on a Ghost Tour of the dungeon at night. The boys loved hearing the ghost stories and walking by the graveyards. Ethan even captured a picture of a ghost in the dungeon. (The guide told him they appear as orbs on your picture. I'm sure I have hundred pictures of ghosts in my pictures, I just thought it was bad lighting!) I had to take a picture of the sign below that we found in one of the graveyards.

We ended our day at the Pirates restaurant. The boys were exhausted, but we had the beach to look forward to the next day!

1 comment:

MiniCircus said...

I'm so excited that you did the letterbox hunt!! We were only able to find one of three in Marysville, the other two are "missing"... but hope to find some when we travel!! I'm glad you had fun.