Friday, February 06, 2009

Baby Number 3
(Ok, not really...)

I started having pain about a year and a half ago. It was intermittent, but when it hit, it hit hard. I had surgery last March on my bladder and hoped that would correct it. About three weeks after surgery, the pain was back. I made due and managed to teach, go to Disney, and live everyday while taking too much medication. Finally, my OB said, "I think you have a kidney stone. Drink a lot of water." So, I started drinking a gallon of water a day. This made my life as a teacher difficult, but did not help the pain. I saw my Urologist in January and he found an 11mm kidney stone. (That is about a half an inch.) It was too big to pass.

I had lithoscopy yesterday. They knocked me out and sent waves shooting through my body to crush the stone. Chris said when I woke up from the procedure I was crying for them to kill me if they couldn't get rid of the pain. After three doses of morphine, I calmed down enough to sleep. I am now passing a ton of little stones. I have quite a collection. I told my dad that I would post pictures online, but thought better of it. I am slowly recovering after feeling like I was hit by a train. Thank you to all of you who prayed for me. I am so excited to start my new life pain free! To any of you out there who have had kidney stones, you have my sympathy. I can honestly say that the pain was worse than having a baby.

2 comments:

MiniCircus said...

Come on Amber, we would love to see pictures... jk. Glad to hear you are doing well, and can't imagine the pain of living with that for so long, glad you could finally get it taken care of. Now to wait for the next ache or pain to come around right!!

Staci said...

I am so glad you had the surgery! I am going to the doctor soon...you have given me renewed hope of putting the heating pad away! Miss you!