Thursday, March 26, 2009



Tellus Science Museum

A fellow teacher at Walker Valley told me about a new science museum just south of Dalton, GA. I decided to take the boys down during our spring break week. It was a really nice museum with some great exhibits. The boys loved the different dinosaur bones. It was like a scene from "Night at the Museum". Tyler walked in and gasped, "Oh my goodness!" It was nice to see all of the tributes to Ohio at the museum. There was a replica of the Wright Brothers plane, several items from John Glenn, and fossils discovered in Ohio. (Shout out to my Buckeye roots!)

The boys favorite item was the panning for gems and digging for fossils. These exhibits really impressed me. The boys were given little necklaces to place their gems that they discovered. They were also allowed to take home a real fossil that they dug out of the dirt. Ethan asked if we could create our own panning for gems activity at home. Let me think: water... sand... I don't think so!

My favorite area was the mineral and gem section. They had a great periodic table with an example of every item in the table. (I know, showing my geek side.) There were also a ton of gems! I love jewelry of any kind.

No comments: